Sunday, February 6, 2011

CFPUA Calls for Public Hearing Before Next Round of Rate Increases

The Cape Fear Public Utility Authority has scheduled a public hearing before the next round of rate increases. The hearing will be March 9th at 6:00 pm in the Commissioners Chambers in the Historic Courthouse downtown. The hearing will allow the public to address concerns directly to the CFPUA board  regarding pending rate hikes.

One of the topics of discussion will be the results of a nearly $50,000 rate study. Many New Hanover County families hope discussions will result in meaningful change to the current rate structure. Under the current rate structure some families have seen the price they pay for essential water needs increase over 140% per thousand gallons.

For over two years families have complained to the eleven member CFPUA board they were being unfairly punished with higher rates. According to the American Water Works Association standards, the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority’s tiered water rates are unfairly punitive to larger families.

A rates workshop is also scheduled for February 23. It will be at 6:00 pm Commissioners Chambers in the Historic Courthouse downtown.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to know WHO handed over my water company that my tax dollars paid for (and there was no relief shown in my tax statement on my home) that I was not allowed a vote on or saying in. Being a New Hanover and Wilmington resident, I feel as if I've been shammed and tossed to the lions. There needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against all involved, I want to just sell my home and move away, I have been robbed by my city!

    ReplyDelete